Monday, July 9, 2007

Fettucini with Bolognese Sauce

It was a busy weekend with so many outings but I managed to conjure up a classic pasta dish from Bologna. This reminds me of one Italian Football player playing for Bologna in Series A years back - Nicola Ventola. No connection with pasta here - just something I can relate to when it comes to the name Bologna - Bolognese. I've to say the family is used to having my better half cooking pasta for them. She isn't inclined to cooking but I must say her pasta is always consistent & pretty good. So, there's a little competition at hand :)

½ kg Minced Beef RM11.00
Fresh Chopped Tomatoes RM3.00
Fresh Chopped Mushrooms
(not button mushrooms from the can) RM4.00
Tomato Puree/Sauces RM6.00
Garlic
Onions
Glass of Red Wine
1 Pack Fettucini RM5.00
Dried Basil/Oregano

For the base , sweat the onions/garlic with olive oil in a pan & add the minced beef. Sprinkle salt & pepper to taste. Add the mushrooms/fresh tomatoes/puree & a glass of full bodied wine. Simmer for 15 minutes. Don't forget to add some herbs - basil & oregano. Also add a little bit of butter & parmesan cheese (cheddar as alternative). Cook it for another 30 minutes on low heat. At the same time, boil pasta for 20 minutes with lots of salt & a little olive oil to prevent the pasta from sticking when you drain it out.

Finally toss pasta with sauce & grate fresh parmesan cheese before serving.

Verdict:
My missus ended up seating on the toilet bowl .
She ate too fast - too yummy I suppose :)

Serves 5

Total cost, RM30.00 tops.