Monday, June 18, 2007

"Chu Kiok" - Pork Trotters in Sweet Dark Vinegar Sauce

If there's ONE dish I've to pass down to my boys it'd be this ONE. My dad cooks the best "chu kiok" ever! This is his specialty & I'm proud to cook this dish, thus passing down the generation & closing the generation gap. As I'll always say - home food cooking isn't just about cooking, it's a recipe for a happy family.

Chu Kiok (pork legs in hakka) - 2 kg
ask your butcher to chop them into pieces
Ginger - lots of 'em
Sweet Vinegar Sauce
A Bottle of Mixed Pickle (ginger/onions/red chili/etc)
Black Soy Sauce
Salt & Pepper
Potatoes
Boil pork legs for 10 minutes
to get rid of blood & sediments.
Take out legs & transfer into a big cooking pot.
Add vinegar, then mixed pickle.
Use only ½ the juice from the bottle
or else it becomes too sour.
Add black soy sauce, salt & water.
Lastly add potatoes.

Serves 4-8 over two meals