Monday, September 10, 2007

Chicken Kurma (Kormah) With Roti Canai

Chicken Kurma is a very authentic Indian cuisine & boy do I love it. In a nutshell, Indian food can be divided into 3 colours; Red (paprika), Yellow (saffron) & Green (coriander). Therefore Chicken Kurma is the green side of Indian food. Well that's how I look at it.

1 kg Chicken - Thighs Section
Chopped Onions
5 Garlic Cloves
6 Cardamom
Coriander Powder - 3 Tablespoon
Chopped Ginger
1 Star Anise
3cm Cinnamon Stick
Salt to Taste
Chili Powder - 1 Teaspoon
Coconut Milk/Yogurt

Heat up oil (or ghee) & add onions, garlic, star anise, cinnamon stick, cardamom, chili & coriander powder till a paste is formed. Add chicken & ½ cup water. Simmer till chicken is half cooked. Add ½ cup coconut milk & yogurt if you like (I didn't) & cooked for another 1 - ½ hours on low heat before serve. Don't forget salt to taste. It's really that easy. Preparation time is about half hour and cooking time 1-2 hours.

What better way to have your chicken kurma with roti canai. I don't think my roti canai can rival any of those roti canai in the mamak corner's but I'm satisfied. Not as thin & crispy but taste just as good. Interesting weekend of culinary adventure :o)

400 g Flour
½ Cup Milk
½ Cup Water
1 Teaspoon Salt
20 g Margarine
1 Egg - Lightly Beat
40 g - Sugar
Ghee/Oil 3 Tablespoon

Add all in a mixing bowl & you get a big dough. Kneading is required. Divide into 10 smaller portion. I used the back of a rounded bowl to shape the roti cos I don't know how to fly the roti canai. I cooked it on a hot plate with minimal oil. Repeat & serve.

The next time I'm given a corner, I'll open a stall instead of inswinger to top corner for Torres to score :o)